Monday, December 27, 2010

Something Good


In the holiday spirit.
Well I’m watching an old classic – Sound of Music. I remember watching this film when I was probably twelve with my parents in the open air movie theater in Tashkent. I loved it then: I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with Maria. Lovely children, the beauty of Alps, the love story, the music, the suspense of escape. I’m watching it now more than 30 years later for the 5th or 6th time. And guess what: this is such an amazing experience. The innocence, the romance, the lack of irony. It still works magic.
I was thinking about writing the end of the year blog. The first thing which comes to mind is how long and difficult this year was. Counting my sorrows, sharing miseries of getting old... But it felt so stupid and so ingénue and so Russian. And I’m not. So I thought about counting my blessing and being cheerful and optimistic and looking forward. But it felt so stupid and so ingénue and so American. And I’m not. The anxiety of identity search was about to strangle me.
And here comes the old classic and puts you in a great mood does not matter if you are young or old, if you watching as a child in Tashkent in the warm summer evening or as an adult in DC in the cold winter night. Viva to the magic of movies and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment